Monday, June 11, 2012

The Wild with Nick Bear Grylls



'Click, Click!", my teeth were chattering as I stepped into the cold breeze. I complained loudly that I couldn't feel my toes.
'Bang! bang! bang!' I jumped. I heard the 'smack, smack, smack! as it hit the seventeen pointer red deer. It deafened Bruce (the dog) who couldn't hear the instructions from Uncle Darren, and was running around in all directions after the other two deer who had jumped the wired fence. 
We had tracked the deer by looking for marks on trees and soft, warm poo on the ground. It had taken us 2-3 hours to track and shoot him. Climbing up through the gully was like climbing the steps of the Sky Tower, it was so steep! We had seen him with another 10-15 deer just hanging out together in a clearing. We had looked around to see if they were any others that were better, but there wasn't. This was the one! He was the biggest.
We sat down. We realised it was a long shot and the bullet might not make it, so Uncle Darren moved forward about 6 meters towards the deer and then bang, bang, bang . . .
As we cut open the back of the deer and saw it's back-steak, I was shocked that it was over a meter long! My legs were wobbling under the weight as we tried to carry the deer all the way back to the truck. One or two kilometres isn't far when you are hunting but it's a long way with a huge back-steak over your arms. My cousin Tabathia, carried the deer's other back-steak and my uncle took the head.
My favourite part of the hunting trip was getting to shoot a 22. it was my first time. I am looking forward to going hunting again.
By Nicklaus Rae

1 comment:

Awesome